Interested in getting involved with Phoenix Center for the Arts? There about a billion ways to do so. 🙂 We have opportunities for Volunteers and Interns, as well as periodic program openings for instructors, both within the Center and as part of our outreach programs.
Glass Fusing Instructors
Intermediate to advanced fusing skills. Teaching methods involved in organizing, planning and instructing glass fusing classes.
Date posted: October 4, 2018
Location: Phoenix Center for the Arts, 1202 N Third Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004
Phoenix Center for the Arts’ Glass Fusing Department is looking to hire one or more Glass Fusing Instructors. This position requires a well-rounded glass fusing artist who will work collaboratively with the Department Head to create and teach various classes and/or workshops. These classes range from running an Open Studio class, to teaching intermediate/advanced or specialty fusing techniques. Hours and days are flexible, as is the subject matter/techniques to be taught.
Glass Fusing Instructor is responsible for planning, developing and instructing a variety of adult glass fusing classes. (Examples may include, but are not limited to: techniques using powders/frit/paints, metal inclusion, pot melts, embossing, jewelry, printing, thick construction, vitrograph, reactive glass, glass combing, etc.)
Duties related to class instruction include: providing demonstrations, handouts, individual instruction, safety awareness, making purchases of supplies when needed, and providing a high level of customer service.
Other responsibilities involve maintaining and operating a studio and related equipment.
Team Player. A passion for fusing and sharing this with others. Positivity and thinking “outside of the box” is a plus.
Glass Fusing Instructors report directly to the Department Head, who reviews work through collaboration, observation, and results achieved.
Pay and Hours:
Glass Fusing Instructor’s work schedule is varied and flexible. It may involve day, evening and/or weekend hours. It may involve part semester/full semester classes, or weekend workshops. Class schedules are developed in coordination with the Department Head, and every effort is made to help each Instructor get a schedule that best fits their needs. Positions are scheduled to start in January.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to the following people:
Jessica Valiente, Programs Manager: j.valiente(at)phoenixcenterforthearts.org
Marilyn Johnson, Glass Department Head: m5field(at)yahoo.com
Dance Teaching Artists
Date posted: September 6, 2018
Location: Phoenix Center for the Arts, 1202 N Third Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004, and other locations TBD
Dance Teaching Artists will be responsible for leading dance classes on behalf of Phoenix Center for the Arts. We are seeking artists across all genres and styles of dance. Dance Teaching Artists will work at Phoenix Center for the Arts, schools, and local organizations.
Teaching Artists will create their own fun and engaging lesson plans for both children and adults, as well as creative movement for seniors, by demonstrating dances before the class, in order to effectively teach students new moves.
Send cover letter, resume, and three references to R.Thomas (at) phoenixcenterforthearts.org.
Instructors – North Phoenix
Date posted: January 1, 2018
Location: Thunderbird Arts Center, 1106 E Grovers Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85022
Thunderbird Arts Center is currently seeking awesome, motivated, teaching artists for the Fall and Spring trimesters.
- Instructors are independently contracted, which creates flexibility in curriculum development and class scheduling.
- Hourly pay: $22 per hour, with reimbursement for material costs and possibility of advancement.
- Instructors have opportunity for showing their artwork in the Thunderbird building during select shows with no hanging costs.
- Instructors are not restricted to a bi-weekly pay schedule and can schedule their pay in weekly or lump-sum arrangements.
- Instructors are VALUED & APPRECIATED for their unique creative vision and are encouraged to utilize their passion in the development of all of their classes.
- All classes are routinely promoted by professional marketing staff.
- Must have availability 3pm-9pm Monday through Thursday, and Saturday from 9am-12pm. Additional weekend availability on occasion is required.
- Instructors must be able to develop their class schedule at least 6 months in advance.
- Instructors must possess a Bachelor’s degree in related field or 2 years experience working with youth.
- Instructors must have AZ State fingerprint clearance card, or be eligible to obtain one.
- Instructors must have excellent interpersonal skills and be willing to work in a shared space with other instructors.
- Instructors must be passionate about working in their area of specialty and motivated to advance the department.
Areas of Specialty:
- Adult Mosaics Instructor
Send cover letter, resume, and three references to L.Krause (at) phoenixcenterforthearts.org.